This really cute little self-closing treat bag is such a quick and easy make. It was inspired by Keren Hughes and adapted for the Happy Haunting Collection. It has a wide base and flat top so the folds and clever shape make the bag close. I first made 2 years ago but it has been such a popular project with left over pages of happy Haunting paper that I have reposted it and included in my series of 13 Frights of 2023 by popular demand.
It is made with a 6 x 6 1/2" paper.
- along the long side score down at 3 and 6
- turn and score 1 and 5 on shorter side
- on back with ruler and scoring tool, score from bottom to first fold only at 3./4, 2 1/4 , 3 3/4, 5 1/4 then cut along these score lines with scissors (or use a trimmer) to the first fold only.
- score from the top of the cut at an angle as diagram to to 1" fold line above. Burnish from both sides back and front
- add ds tape or glue to tab and seal side. Fold box in half with join at left.
- at the top also mark the same 3/4", 2 1/4, and cut with scissors at an angle to the top fold to shape the top of the box and make sure back and front are exactly the same.
- gently fold and press on score lines
- glue bottom 4 tabs to make box. The bag will now be wide at the bottom and flat at the top.
- decorate with stamped sentiment
- add sweets
The sharp folds and square shape bottom, give the bag rigidity and make the self-closing mechanism work.
Craft Consortium products used:
Happy Haunting 12 x 12 200 gsm papers
Happy Haunting clear stamps
Credit: Tuppence coloured